home: trend [ scandinavian ]
Not many trends can stand the test of time. Throughout the year you have Spring / Summer looks and Autumn / Winter looks which work for that time of the year, whether it’s tropical prints, nautical and bright tones or knitted, woodland and textured, these trends come and go.
A style and interior trend that has grown year on year is Scandinavian. It’s popularity is due to its relaxed nature and is very simple to achieve. Using a subtle colour palette, key furniture and a selection of textures you can easily get the look in your room.
Prints and art sit strongly within this trend. Black & White typography and graphic art work really well pulling together the scandinavian feel. Texture also plays a big part, with faux fur and knitted wool throws creating a cosy welcoming space to relax. Continuing with soft furnishings you cannot call a room Scandi influenced without rugs layed on wooden flooring. Make sure the rug has a pattern and keep the colours to a minimum.
If you want to bring colour to your room consider deep oranges and blues, they work really nice with the different wood tones that are used. Go bold with a coloured sofa or chair, alternatively paint a wall offset with white furniture and accessories. A popular style of sofa is a rattan framed option, creating interest and giving a sense of outdoors living but inside, as well as giving the versatility of a day bed. Also consider a large mid century style leather sofa in brown or caramel.
Furniture really makes a room and the bolder the better in this case. Mix walnut finishes with mango wood and acacia vaneer. A classic low level console with drawers and doors will look great with a selection of plants, frames and accessories arranged on top. Another key piece is a display cabinet showing off a lovely collection of glassware and ceramics.
When bringing lighting into the room keep the wood theme by opting for a woven bamboo shade or freestanding floor lamp.
1. Pair of dining chairs from made.com [ £189 ]
2. Rug from ikea.com [ £59 ]
3. Print from indish.co.uk [ £36 ]
4. Walnut coffee table from ikea.com [ £195 ]
5. Faux fur cushion from hm.com [ £12.99 ]
6. Frame from skandivis.co.uk [ £29 ]
7. Dala horse from atnumber67.co.uk [ £9.90 ]
8. Sofa from husandhem.co.uk [ £3740 ]
9. Cabinet from ikea.com [ £110 ]
10. Console from johnlewis.com [ £1299 ]
11. Bamboo lampshade from loandbeholdstore.com [ £95 ]
12. Throw from hm.com [ £29.99 ]
13. Chair from nest.co.uk [ £185 ]